While I was looking for the panettone recipe that I used last year, I came across the recipe for Panettone Muffins. I was excited to find this recipe because it was everything I wanted for something that I would make to take to a holiday party. It was festive, easy-to-make, and a little unusual. I ended up making two batches of the recipe to ensure that I had some leftovers to bring home to write about.
These were really good. The muffins tasted faintly of citrus from the lemon extract I added. The recipe called for the right amount of fruit; there were few bites that didn’t have it. I loved the combination of fruit I used: cherries, cranberries, apricots, and ginger. I really enjoyed the crunch that the sparkling sugar on top added. I didn’t notice the rum that I soaked the fruit in. By soaking the fruit in half rum and half apple cider, they only had 1/2 teaspoon rum in each muffin.
I really enjoyed these. They’re a festive item to take to a potluck or party, and a great alternative to making actual panettone.
- 1½ cup dried fruit (I used cherries, cranberries, apricots, and candied ginger)
- ¼ cup apple juice, OJ, or rum (I used half apple cider and half rum)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅛ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons coarse sparkling sugar for topping
- Combine dried fruit and apple juice/liquid. Soak overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Cream the butter, oil, and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and extracts. Mix dry ingredients, and add to the batter, alternating with the milk. You should begin and end with the flour. All flour should be incorporated, but do not overmix. Stir in the fruit and its liquid. Divide the batter among the muffin cups; they will be full. Sprinkle sparkling sugar on top. Bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes (mine took 16), until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.