192: “Mom’s” Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Sharing is caring!
After I made dinner, I really wanted to make cookies. Our friend Amy had given us a couple of recipes with our wedding gift, and it was finally time to make the cookies!
These were delicious! The cookies had just the right proportion of crisp edges to soft, chewy center. The oats gave the cookies texture and substance without being overwhelming or dense.
Alex, Karen, and I agreed – these are great cookies. I recommend you make them!
- 1/2 cup shortening or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon water (which I think I might have left out)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 6 ounces chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup nuts optional, which I omitted)
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix flour salt and soda together, then add to first mixture. Add oatmeal and water. Add chocolate chips and nuts. Place cookies on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes.
This recipe mixed together very easily. I used margarine rather than shortening, and left out the nuts. I think I forgot to add the water. I used small spoons to scoop the cookies onto the baking sheets. I used baking mats on my baking sheets rather than grease them. I baked each sheet for 10 minutes. This recipe yielded 30 cookies.