Chocolate Toffee Cracker Cookies
Sharing is caring!
These Chocolate Toffee Cracker Cookies are seriously the best. They’re addictive. When I make these, Alex and I polish them off in about a day. Not only are they delicious; they take only 4 ingredients (5 if you top them with nuts), and you’re done in the kitchen in just 30 minutes. You can make them whenever you feel like it. It’s a dangerous recipe to have.
[This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission for purchases made through links on this post.]
A friend and coworker got me this Quick and Easy Christmas cookbook for Christmas several years ago – a great gift for me! When I looked through the cookbook, a recipe jumped out at me immediately – this recipe for Chocolate Toffee Cookies made with saltine crackers. I think I made them 3 times that year, and only in part because I couldn’t come up with anything else to do with the 3 sleeves of saltines I had left from making a Vegan Pecan Pie.
I loved this recipe so much that I tried to share it with you at the end of 2013, right after I first made them, but then my website crashed and I hadn’t performed a backup, so I couldn’t recover my post. (So now, I backup my website any time I write anything!) The holidays got in the way, and I put off sharing this recipe with you in favor of newer things I’ve made. But really, it’s a tragedy that I haven’t shared them with you again until now.
Here’s the very easy recipe in a nutshell: Line up saltines on a baking sheet. Briefly boil butter and brown sugar (no thermometer required), then pour over crackers. Bake for 5 minutes; top with chocolate chips, and smear them over the tops when softened and melty. Cool/chill and break into delicious, crunchy pieces.
Many people have different variations of this recipe. You can use milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips for these. You can top them with nuts. I believe there’s a recipe version with graham crackers in place of saltines out there.
I really love these cookies. It’s hard to go wrong with chocolate and crunchy, buttery toffee.
Want another easy recipe for addictive cookies? Try Cookie Bars with butterscotch chips.
Like this recipe or have questions? Rate it or leave a comment below!
In the past:
Three Years Ago: Whole Grain Pumpkin Yeast Bread
Four Years Ago: Vegan Pecan Pie
Five Years Ago: Espresso Biscotti
Seven Years Ago: Pecan Squares
- 36 saltine crackers (1 sleeve)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces milk or semisweet chocolate chips (1 bag)
- 1 cup walnuts to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a (15x10 inch) jelly roll pan/baking sheet with foil, being sure to make lips along the edges to contain the toffee. Spray foil and lay saltine crackers out in a single layer.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Over medium high heat, bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Immediately pour mixture over saltines, covering each one. Bake saltines and toffee for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and immediately top with chocolate chips. Wait a few minutes, until chocolate softens. Smooth melted chocolate over crackers.
- Chill or cool completely. Break into (36) pieces. Store in an airtight container. Should last about a week at room temperature (in low humidity), if you don't eat them first.