Gluten-Free Baked Donuts
I really, really wanted donuts recently. However, being back on my gluten-free diet at the moment, I couldn’t just go and get one.
I decided to adapt this Baked Doughnuts recipe from King Arthur Flour, since one of the commenters on the recipe said that it worked with gluten-free flour and a little xanthan gum.
I’ve tried this recipe – twice – and am very happy with it overall. I decided I didn’t like the cinnamon in the batter. I’ve dipped the donuts in cinnamon sugar, and drizzled them with chocolate icing. Both are good. I’ve used them with two different gluten-free flour mixes, and it worked with both. I also expect it will work fine with regular flour and no xanthan gum as originally written. So, make these donuts!
These were pretty good. They had a nice, cakey texture, and good flavor. They had lots of spice when I included 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, but I decided I’d rather have a neutral iced or sugared donut. The donuts weren’t super-sweet. They held together nicely and weren’t crumbly. I wouldn’t think that these were gluten-free if I didn’t already know. I think I needed to bake them slightly less to make them be a tiny bit more moist. If I didn’t have powdered milk available, I would use 2 tablespoons yogurt or milk instead of the water. Overall, this was a really good, solid recipe worth making over and over.
Like this recipe or have questions? Rate it or leave a comment below!
In the past:
One Year Ago: Anise Ice Cream
Two Years Ago: Granola Muffins
Three Years Ago: Beef and Mushroom Sloppy Joes
These easy gluten-free baked donuts come together easily. Not crumbly and not super-sweet! A weekend breakfast treat.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend (use regular flour if not gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk (if omitting, substitute milk for the water below)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (skip if using regular flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water (substitute in milk if omitting powdered milk)
- Whisk together flour, sugar, powdered milk, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and nutmeg.
- Whisk together eggs, oil, and water. Stir into the dry ingredients.
- Grease a donut pan well. Divide the batter between the 6 donuts, spreading the batter out evenly.
- Bake at 375F for about 9-10 minutes. Donuts will be springy when done. Cool briefly, then turn out onto a rack. You may have to use a toothpick to help remove the donuts. Dip in cinnamon sugar or drizzle with frosting.
This recipe works perfectly for not-gluten-free donuts as well. Just use regular flour, and omit the xanthan gum.
If you don't have powdered milk, substitute in milk for the water.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour