Olive Oil Granola with Dried Apricots and Pistachios
I’ve been eating my last granola for a while, and while I’ve grown fond of it (it’s good as a cereal!), I decided it was time for me to try something a little different.
I’ve wanted to try Olive Oil Granola with Dried Apricots and Pistachios for a while – and honestly, it was the only granola recipe I had that I already had all the ingredients for. I’d read good reviews about it, too. I didn’t have many apricots, though, so I decided to make a third of a batch. Besides, I still need to finish my other granola.
This granola took oats, pistachios, pumpkin seeds (I substituted sunflower seeds… because they’re small?), coconut chips (not sweetened), maple syrup, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, and apricots. My pistachios and sunflower seeds were salted and roasted, so I washed them off before I added them to the other ingredients. I was also excited to use my coconut chips that I bought last month. I mixed everything but the apricots together, spread it in a pan, and baked it for 45 minutes, stirring 3 times.
This was a beautiful granola, light and toasty-colored. It was slightly clumpy, but just enough so that the oats clung to each other. It was also very sweet. I really enjoyed the pistachios in this – honestly, I loved everything in this granola (except the sunflower seeds, but they weren’t really bad in this, either). I wish I could tell you what the olive oil added to this recipe. Honestly, I haven’t eaten much of the granola yet; I’m munching on a tiny bit right now so I can write about it. The olive oil gives a nice flavor to build upon.
I’ll likely update this post once I eat a little more of it (later this week), but I can already tell you that it’s pretty good. I’ll probably tinker with this recipe a little bit to see if I can make it a little less sweet (Edit: you can omit the brown sugar with great success!), so that I don’t feel guilty eating it for breakfast often. This recipe’s definitely a keeper.
Love apricots and pistachios? You’ll probably also love Dried-Apricot Pistachio Ice Cream.
You can also check out my other favorite granola, Cherry Granola.
A rich olive oil granola, studded with pistachios and apricots and spiced with cinnamon and cardamom, with just a hint of sweetness.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups raw pistachios (shelled)
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (shelled)
- 1 cup coconut chips (different from sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut)
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar (optional; it makes this very sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt (use up to 1/2 teaspoon if adding the brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¾ cup chopped dried apricots
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, coconut chips, maple syrup, olive oil, brown sugar (if using), salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. Spread mixture onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 300F for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Do not let burn.
- Add chopped dried apricots and let cool. Toss to combine. Store in an airtight container.
adapted from the NY Times