Gluten-Free Banana Bread with Coconut and Flax
Earlier this week we had some old bananas sitting around, which made Banana Bread with Coconut and Flax a very convenient bread to bake for Bread Week 21. I wish I could tell you that I make banana bread because it’s amazingly delicious, healthy, and exciting. But unfortunately, banana bread is not that exciting to me. I usually make it because it is easy and the bananas are there, waiting to be used, or else. (Don’t we all?) But, banana bread certainly does make for a good enough PB&J (or toast for chocolate peanut butter) and so I sometimes enjoy having it around for breakfast and lunch. This one had the added benefit of having flax meal (added fiber) and coconut (added flavor and texture).
This was a tasty banana bread. I could not tell that it was gluten-free at all. It was bananay, and the cinnamon flavor in it was strong. I might skip the spices next time. The coconut was a flavorful addition to the bread and gave it extra texture. The bread was tender and still pretty moist, even after a few days. I didn’t notice the flax, which is a good thing if you’re trying to sneak in a little extra nutrition. The bread worked well for breakfast; sandwiches made from it were pretty filling. The bread was a little crumbly after a few days, particularly if you tried to cut it thin; I’m not sure if that’s because it was gluten-free, or if it’s because it’s banana bread. This was a very solid banana bread recipe, and it’s well worth making if you need to make a gluten-free treat that doesn’t seem gluten-free. This would be worth making again sometime.
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill this time)
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 large bananas
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper (helps keep gluten-free bread from sticking) and coat with cooking oil.
- Combine flour, flax, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- With an electric or stand mixer, combine the brown sugar and oil. Add banana and whip until banana is almost entirely mashed. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in coconut.
- Scrape batter into loaf pan and bake at 350F for 45-55 minutes (mine took 58), until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool bread briefly in pan before removing to a wire rack. Cool entirely before cutting.